What to do for the Reading/Presentation/Discussion Assignments
For each paper we cover in the class, you will have one of these tasks:
Presenter, Discusser, or Reader.
Presenter: (each paper will have 1 presenter assigned)
- Read paper carefully
- Check with me at least 2 days before your talk. I
may have video or live demo you can use in your presentation, and pointers
to other info on the web.
- Look up additional related info on the web as needed.
- Prepare 10 minute talk:
- What is the data or the
problem they are trying to solve?
- Describe/demonstrate visualization. What is the data->visual
- Critique: what is it good for? What is it NOT good for? How does
it compare to other systems? How might it be improved?
- Consider: user tasks, scale, 5 HCI metrics (primarily user performance),
- If paper includes evaluation study: describe
and critique study and conclusions.
- Hints for presentation:
- Talk should be professional. May
use PowerPoint or whatever.
- Focus on 2-3 main points.
- Your main goal is to ensure that everybody understands the
- Be visual. Remember the title of this course! Attempt to maximize visuals and minimize text. Show the demo early in the presentation. For some strange reason, there is a strong natural
human tendency to give
lots of text then show the demo at the very end. Yet, this is exactly opposite of what gets the audience’s
- Make the talk interactive to provoke
- Present talk in class. Email your slides to me in advance for
loading on laptop.
- Post talk materials on website.
Discusser: (each paper will have 1 discusser assigned)
- Read paper carefully
- Discuss ideas with the assigned Presenter.
- Come to class prepared to lead discussion of the paper after presentation
- Ask questions to the class to create discussion about the
(e.g. issues include scale, tasks, insight factor, critique based on our
design principles, whats it good for?)
- Feel free to call on students in the class.
- Take notes during the class discussion.
- Write a summary of the discussion and send it to the class listserve.
(maybe we will send it to the paper author too)
Reader: (Everyone else)
- Read paper
- Think critically about it
to class prepared to discuss and take part in heated argument.
Discusser may call on students randomly.